Monday, September 28, 2009

My First Hard Cheese


This is possibly a goats' milk cheddar.
We'll find out for sure in 4 to 12 weeks.
And this is my cheese press, which Big Dan kindly invented for me on the spot. Planning ahead isn't my forte. When I got to the line in the directions that said, "Press at 50 lbs. for 12 hours." I wondered where I was going to find something that weighs 50 lbs.
The containers of wheat were ok in a pinch, but I'll need to do better than that if I'm going to make lots of cheeses.
It was easy to make a cheddar. I think it will be like soap making. Seems hard at first, but once you get the idea, it's fun.

3 comments:

  1. great improvising, Big Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok - up and running - simplecitylivin - Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete