Thursday, August 19, 2010

All in a Day's Work


I think one of the nicest things about pretending to be self-sufficient is the feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day.
Raising young ladies of virtue is certainly a noble calling, and each day is an important work. But it's hard to see what's been achieved until later. Sometimes years later.
Canning peaches, however, is a task that is instantly rewarding. (There were more jars, but I took some as gifts.)
I used Pomona's Pectin, a low sugar pectin that uses calcium to gel rather than sugar. I love the flavors of the fruit I'm canning this year because they're not overpowered by sweetness.
I think that my plum or peach preserves with just a touch of sweetness would go well in this recipe for an Italian Jam Tart:
http://http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/5605/italian-jam-tart

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I canned peaches the other day, too! I'm not sure if mine will thicken up---last year I made apple peel jelly and it didn't thicken until it had sat around for awhile (don't know why), but it doesn't really matter because it's so yummy anyway.

    I absolutely LOVE the phrase "pretending to be self-sufficient." A playful assessment of a very lofty goal, to which (surprise surprise) I also aspire!

    Now if only I could rummage up a matching pony. :)

    ReplyDelete