Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Reading is Fundamental

Katie didn't used to like reading, but this year has been the turning point for her. Our latest read-aloud was Nancy Drew, The Secret of Shadow Ranch. It was so much fun to feel her little kid head, smelling that summer smell of sweat, resting on my shoulder as I read, having her beg for one more chapter, since as you probably know, Nancy always ends a chapter in a cliff-hanger. The western ranch theme of the book inspired tonight's dinner: cowboy casserole. Beef, beans, onions, peppers, and salsa covered with cornbread. What a joy it is to be able to share books from my childhood with my daughters!

1 comment:

  1. Adam never liked to read but loved being read to. James started reading to him while he was in the womb and continued till he was 15 when I told James it was time to make him read by himself. He still doesn't read books often but he's an excellent writer.

    Katie will always remember you reading to her, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete