Thursday, April 30, 2009

It's 1 A.M. Do You Know Where Your Bobcat Is?

The big excitement tonight is the defeat of the bobcat by four of the five dogs.
We realized that something unusual was out there when all four were barking wildly in the woods behind the house. Big Dan went out with a light and saw a big kitty.
While he loaded the shotgun, I had a look see. Sure enough, there was a bobcat, right behind the back fence. The dogs had him surrounded, and his every attempt to get up a tree was thwarted by Joe Houndog. That dog was running in circles around that cat faster than you could imagine.
I was a little worried because Lily was trying to bite it, and I don't think it's a wise choice to bite into a bobcat.
When Danny came out armed, we distracted the dogs so he could get a shot. I begged him to let the kitty go and he did. I'm convinced that Rufus, as we call him, won't be back for more dogfighting.
I wikipediaed bobcats (L. Rufus Rufus) when the kitty had made his get away, and found that they mostly eat rats and bunnies. So unless he had rabies, it was probably a good decision to let him run.
I never knew that a mixed hound dog could be such a valiant defender of livestock. Or maybe he just thought it was a coon?
I'm proud of the mutts and fat Beagle!

No comments:

Post a Comment